This visa is suitable for elderly parents.
Who is eligible for an Retirement Visa?
- This visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor, in Australia.
- Your spouse and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
- You can apply for this visa onshore if no restriction to onshore applications exists.
Other Requirements for an Retirement Visa
- You must be the parent of a child who is settled in Australia and is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. Usually, your child will sponsor you. If your child is under 18 years you may also be sponsored by your child’s spouse, a close family relative or guardian of your child, a close family relative or guardian of your child’s spouse or a community organisation.
- Men must be 65 years or older to meet the age requirements.
- Women should use the following table. The table shows the age at which a woman becomes eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa.
- DOB: Before 30 June 1944- Minimum age: 63 years
- DOB: 1 July 1944 – 31 December 1945- Minimum age: 63.5 years
- DOB: 1 January 1946 – 30 June 1947- Minimum age: 64 years
- DOB: 1 July 1947 – 31 December 1948- Minimum age: 64.5 years
- DOB: 1 January 1949 and later- Minimum age: 65 years
- You must have a commitment by a person prepared to provide you with an Assurance of Support.
- The balance of family test requires that half your children must be permanently resident in Australia or you have more children permanently resident in Australia than any other overseas single country.
Benefits of an Retirement Visa
This visa allows aged parents to remain in Australia permanently, with their children who are living in Australia.